Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Review: Legend by Marie Lu (kindle edition)


"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets."

My rating: 5 stars

Back when the dystopian genre was first being discovered, if a book was described as dystopian people were intrigued - it was a new exciting idea for young adult lit.

Now, after the huge success of The Hunger Games, people often assume the dystopian genre has been exhausted. Hundreds of dystopians have been written with almost identical plots and characters. I must admit I was one of those people.

It actually took me weeks to download Legend on my Kindle cause all I could think was "Ugh another dystopian".

If you are reading this and can relate to any of what I just said you need to ignore yourself. This book is different to other dystopians and breathes fresh air into this genre. I couldn't put it down!

I absolutely LOVED the way they were set against each other. June is a Republic prodigy. Perfect score on the Trial and set to join the Republic military. Day is a low street criminal trying to survive. 

For the first part of the book June hates Day (for valid reasons) and I really liked that. In most YA books all I see is the boy and girl completely in love straight away and in Legend I liked how Lu got the reader so engaged in the characters feelings. I myself was thinking "I can't believe Day would......" or "This doesn't add up why is...." 
You start thinking that the story you've been given might not be correct and start thinking of alternatives - much like a mystery novel.

You quickly become attached to the characters - despite the two viewpoints (June and Day). I am a major June fan.

Overall Lu has written a wonderfully original plot with characters you become attached to very quickly. June is a fantastic female character (aka badass) and Day is an interesting male character. The minor characters are used in a lovely way - I love how Tess was set up for the next book.

An awesome book that gives me hope for the dystopian genre, a new favourite of mine and a must read for dystopian fans. Well worth the money - especially on a Kindle!

What did you guys think of Legend? Comment below!

Molly

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank-you so much for taking the time to comment, I know we all say it but all bloggers love comments :)