Friday, 30 December 2011

Review: Heaven by Christoph Marzi




HeavenTitle: Heaven
Author: Christoph Marzi
Genre: Young adult-fantasy
Published: 
February 2nd 2012 
Publisher: Orchard Books
Source: ARC for review from Laure at Hodders books!
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Goodreads
Amazon
The Book Depository


Description from Goodreads.com
The night that Heaven lost her heart was cold and moonless. But the blade that sliced it out was warm with her dark blood... David Pettyfer is taking a shortcut over the dark rooftops of London's brooding houses, when he literally stumbles across Heaven: a strange, beautiful, distraught girl who says that bad men have stolen her heart. Yet she's still alive... And so begins David and Heaven's wild, exciting and mysterious adventure - to find Heaven's heart, and to discover the incredible truth about her origins. Part thriller, part love story and part fairy tale, this brilliantly original novel from a bestselling German author will take your breath away...
Hi!

If you are reading this on my blog, then you might have noticed that I haven't posted a review in a while. This is because I have been procrastinating. YES! I was really on the fence about this book.



This was my first ARC that I didn't win, so I was really hoping I'd like it. I did, but only marginally.

I was intrigued at the premise of the girl Heaven having no heart but being able to live and I really liked David. He was a really interesting character and I especially liked his background, as messed up as it was.

A mysterious and creepy man follows them, intent on taking Heaven. He always uses different names. He was interesting as well and he always works with a raggedy man with him. 

Now, you may be wondering, if I've been using the adjective 'interesting' so much, why only 3 star rating? Well this book was...slow. And confusing. I was unsure what year it was set because characters always said (for example) 'Heaven said "It happened November 21st," she gave the year.' Always. So I was unsure of the year though I knew it was set sometime in the future because part of the sky had disappeared over London. That was another bit I found interesting.

I had all these interesting features and I was waiting for a very cool explanation to tie it altogether but, to be quite frank, I thought the explanation was very unexpected and anti climatic. Also, there was a scene I loved near the end involving the London Eye but that's the problem; it was near the end. All the gripping action was squeezed into the last few chapters.

Altogether an interesting book with a promising premise and deep characters but was not well paced. 



3 out of 5 stars

What did you think of this book if you've read it? How does it sound if you haven't?


Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Great review Molly. This book sounds kinda of rushed to me. But maybe I will check it out!
    Gabby x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so good I find it hard not to check out. I'm conflicted now too because it doesn't worth the time to read but the premise is so interesting. hmmmm I might put it on the bottom of my list then that's all.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank-you so much for taking the time to comment, I know we all say it but all bloggers love comments :)